Sunday, June 8, 2014

Welcome Home!

We arrived at Lax's parent's mid-town apartment about 4am Hybad time. As it was so late, it had been decided that I would head to Lek's place tomorrow.

No matter that the hour was so late, or so early as the case may be, the entire household was up and ready to visit. Everyone crowded into Maataaji and Pitaaji's bedroom for hugs -- even I was herded in with the whole family to be introduced.

We then moved the party into the living room, where we talked and laughed. The room had large windows onto a huge terrace on the front side, and french doors onto a service terrace on the back side, creating a nice cross-breeze. A strong three-paddle fan overhead added to the cooling.

We sat around on two sofas and some chairs, and when the crowd became so large we pulled in some plastic chairs. There was Lax's sister Pad, BIL Satish, brother Venky, SIL Anu, SIL's mother, niece Geethi. Plus the five of us, and some others as well. Maataaji got out of bed and joined us.

We drank sweet chai and ate snacks (somehow I don't have notes of what we ate!). Both Padma and Venky have big personalities, so there was lots of kidding and joking.

I was made so welcome. I closed my eyes and ignored the language around me. I could have been with family in South Carolina, in Queens, in Germany, in Charlotte. I felt like part of the family. We sat there talking until 6am.

Then the girls went home with Pad and Satish, and Lax, Yesh and I feel onto a large bed in a well cooled room for a nap before the traditional arrival morning dosa breakfast.

I feel asleep immediately, but Lax and Yesh got back up to enjoy an Hyderabad sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)