Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Greasing of Palms


At some point between the hatch and the ultimate break for freedom we had thrown our bags on a conveyor belt for a final scan, and as I walked by the machine I noticed a stack of fliers strewn on top. I took one with the intent to look at it later.

We moved out into another large hall and I thought we would just walk through, but Yesh waved us to stop while he chatted with some official looking guy in uniform. We stood and waited.

Yesh walked back toward us asking if Lax had rupees. She didn't, but luckily I had the stash Atit had given me.

We looked through the various pastel bills to see what I had. "Give me a thousand," Yesh said.

He walked back to Uniform Guy, slid him the thousand, and waved us through. As we were walking past I noted incredulously that Uniform Guy was not even attempting to play it cool with the greasing of his palm, and was instead laughing and showing the bill to the other Uniform Guys.

Later at baggage pickup Yesh told us that we had neglected to fill out a specific form, and Uniform Guy was threatening to search all our bags. A quick bribe was the quickest way to get out of the airport. (Thanks, Atit, for the currency, and the bribe prep!)

We gathered our ten bags, turned a corner, and were surrounded by Lax's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)