Friday, June 27, 2014

Taking the Beach Road

Leaving the temple neighborhood we drove north along (what I think was) Kamarajar Promenade, seeing the Marina Walk along our right against the bay and lots of British-era buildings on the left. People were walking along the Marina Walk, enjoying the late afternoon breezes off the water.

Saj is wealth of historical info having grown up and been educated within Chennai, and makes a very good tour guide -- though he says this is his inaugural journey. He urges me to see past the superficial and seek to understand the essence of Chennai, and India.

The British buildings are beautifully maintained and have expansive lawns. The Governor's office is housed in an estate with a large wall and gate, and since elections were held only last week seems to be in residence -- the place surrounded by uniformed guards.

We turned around, Saj asked Palani to take Marina Beach Road (I think that's what he said). Being an American, I conjured a vision of what Marina Beach Road should look like.

I could not have been more wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)