Tuesday, June 17, 2014

First Day at the Office

Late afternoon Lek headed off to airport. She has been tapped to travel the country teaching Architectural Principals and our corporate standards, travelling almost every week, becoming a corporate superstar!

Wednesday I'm scheduled to go to the office with NB. I need to remember to leave my phone at home, as Smart Phones are not allowed into the office, for security purposes.

While the other corporations within HiTech City splash their names on the buildings -- Google, HSBC, Dell -- our employer chooses to fly stealth with a nondescript building and no visible markings. Security uses mirrors to look under every car, and opens every trunk as we drive in.

NB takes me to security to activate my badge and register my laptop. I'm surprised at how manual the sign in process is. Large ledger books are kept for tracking my temp badge and my laptop. My laptop gets a sticker to show registration. Hard copies of the emails requesting my access are stapled to official forms and filed. Smart phones are traded for numbered poker chips, and stored with the security guard for retrieval later. I sign hard copies for everything.

I'm given a tour of the building -- the same as any cube farm I've ever worked in, except it's been many years since I've seen an actual cafeteria -- and am installed in a conference room just doors down from NB.

1 comment:

  1. I am person of Indian origin and at present living in USA. I accidentally came across your blog and loved it. I read all your past entries. I have been planning to go back to visit motherland since past 8 years but ended up cancelling plans one or other reason. Some of your blog entries have made me nostalgic especially about arrivals and purple tongue. Since you are also getting to experience working in Indian corporate office, how are working hours now a days? are they similar like US? 8am to 5 pm? How are attitude toward working women? When I used to work long time ago in Indian offices, working hours were 10 am to 7pm. also attitude of other co workers toward female employee was not that great if a person is not senior/manager. Other difference I had noticed was how you address your manager. While in USA, we all address our manager or person who is senior with his/her first name, in India, most of them used to address their manager as either Sir or Madam. If you address them with their first name, it considered as rude behavior. Is it still same?

    ReplyDelete

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)