Friday, June 13, 2014

The One in Which I Eat

Upon our return home the electricity was out. Everyone was hanging out on the terrace, enjoying the cool(-ish) promising breezes. Officials had been called, and now it was just a matter of waiting.

The sky had been overcast most of the day and everyone hoped for rain, but as we sat on the terrace we saw the first glow of moonlight through parting clouds.

Around the corner, in the short leg of the L-shaped terrace, a woman hung clothes to dry in the night breeze.

Venky produced tall bottles of Kingfisher beer, and the men (and me!) enjoyed some cool brews while the kids ran races and laughed and the women bustled about. Visitors came and went, in laws, out laws, relatives of relatives. Coming to visit Lax or others. Plastic chairs pulled into larger circles then smaller circles.

Rose pulled a chair into the center of the circle, commanding everyone's attention. I hadn't the heart to tell her that 'the cheese stands alone'.

Presently Pad showed up with leftovers from her evening catering gig and she brought out foods to share like appetizers. We had cool watermelon. There was chicken, which I don't usually eat, but was cajoled into having -- and it had a wonderful smoky flavor. There was fish -- which I had seen prepared on a cooking show just the day before -- coated with many spices and (I think) grilled. There were large, crispy, savory snack crackers which I think were called appa, and murkku. So much food, coming and coming from the kitchen to the terrace.

(It sounds like all I do here is eat!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)