Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Dunking My Biscuits

Saturday morning I woke early to the sound of birds and to the light filtering through a blind into my room. I washed up and went out into the central room, where I was introduced by NB's parents to the morning ritual of tea.

NB is from Kolkata / Calcutta, which is the capital of West Bengal and the third most populated metropolitan area in India. Historically Bengalis choose a form of Darjeeling over the typical chai tea. No milk or sugar is used. Biscuits (slightly sweet cookies) are dunked into the tea, reminding me of a scene in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, when the Judi Dench character says of dunking:

(It) Means lowering the biscuit into the tea and letting it soak in there and trying to calculate the exact moment before the biscuit dissolves, when you whip it up into your mouth and enjoy the blissful union of biscuits and tea combined. It’s more relaxing than it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)