Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Running Errands

After I became a novitiate in the art of dunking, Lek and I ran household errands.

Stepping from the elevator, I see we are indeed surrounded by lush yards of grass, with tropical trees and shrubs all around. The parking lot has more of those cool pavers, and is filled with all mode of transport from scooters to luxury BMWs. While most of the makes I recognize (Hyundai, Toyota, Volkswagen, TaTa, Daewoo, etc.), I do not recognize the model names. I've assumed these are manufactured specifically for countries who value smaller cars.

Lek's contract driving service is waiting for us in an air conditioned minivan. We drove through the complex and back into India.

We went to a bank branch. I've never seen so many people or much activity in a branch before in my life. There are little signs above the stations -- Loan Central, Deposits, etc. There are ATMs. The branch manager's office was right by the door -- my recollection of US branches -- not that I go into a banking center more than twice a year these days -- is that the manager's office is the furthest from the door. There were people walking around officiously, helping people, but I couldn't find any indication of how to identify them as bank staff -- no name tag, no uniform, dressed as casually as the customers. There were people sitting in chairs in the center of the room near the door… for what? Were they waiting to be helped? Had they taken a number? Did anyone know they were there?

We went to an ATM for a different banking institution. We entered the door and followed a hallway, and stepped into a cubby where we closed heavy wooden doors behind us. The ATM was the same -- just with rupees instead of USD.

Then we went to the supermarket. It was generally similar to US supermarkets, with surprising differences. First, it is about the size of the supermarket I grew up with in the 60s and 70s in smalltown SC -- small and manageable (not a four hour trip to the food mall). Next, in the produce section the fruits are weighed for cost, but the veggies are not -- WTF? There is an attendant who weighs your fruit for you, who also takes care of the shelves around his station. Milk comes in plastic bags, as does batter for different types of bread. There are products that are reminiscent of my US products -- with very similar packaging and names… Dannon yogurt is Danone yogurt, etc. There are so many people working there, and many people are cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Taking inventory off the shelves, cleaning the shelves, cleaning the inventory. There are many folks running the registers and bagboys… real bagboys. It was a step back in time.

And as we left, a security guard verified our sales receipt.

And then, our errands were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)