Thursday, June 12, 2014

Monday Afternoon

On Monday I went back to Lax for the day.

I dropped Lek and NB at the office, and their driver took me into town. This was the first time I've taken a drive unchaperoned, and taken a long drive in the day light. I can't find another word to describe it besides overwhelming. It is exhausting driving through the crazy traffic, even from the backseat.

When I arrived I learned to my delight they had held lunch for me -- and what a lunch it was! As usual, I didn't take notes and as such have probably forgotten what I ate… I think there was dal and rice, and I know there were three desserts.

One of them was a variation on the gulab jamun we had at the Westin, and I think this one is called kala jamun -- whatever it's called, it is fantastic! And I think Pad made it!!!

(As an aside, here is a website I've found -- an American girl cooking Indian -- there are recipes and cooking tips. Take a look.)

Next, we went looking at banquet halls for a party Lax's family is having. When a girl reaches a certain age, the family buys her first saree and has, basically, an unveiling party. Since we were travelling to India this year, Maataaji wanted to have a large family party and this was a handy excuse. Due to some unforeseen issues, the planning had to be left until the last minute. So now we were scrambling.

We drove to see four different halls. This was in addition to the four or so Lax had seen the day before. Two were meh, and were really not worth the time and effort in the traffic it took us to get there. Two were very nice.

We were gone about four hours on this errand, for something that -- in Charlotte, including distance, traffic, and viewing time -- would have taken less than two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)