Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Saree Party

We had decided I would borrow from Lek's closet to attend Lax's party. This way we have no pressure to find something suitable, and I have no pressure to buy something that may be more dressy than my usual life requires. (Plus the whole Giant Old Lady thing.)

Lax had been telling me about this party for months -- when the family buys and presents the daughter with her first saree, and then introduces her to the world.

I had assumed it would have religious or ritualistic overtones -- a script to follow… here she is before, here she is after…. I didn't see any of that. If a script exists, Lax opted for a more casual performance.

What I did see was a chance for people to dress up in their most beautiful clothing -- and I do mean, there were some breathtakingly beautiful sarees there -- and most glamorous makeup -- and have their pictures taken.

After the unveiling of Mellissa and Jasmine in their beautiful new sarees, a receiving line started at the left of the stage and each family filed across, tossing rice onto the girls' heads, and taking their photo opp.

Lek and I, being the non-traditional girls you know and love, worked our way through the untouched -- and very delicious -- buffet line (twice), and slipped through the artful fence into the male dominated bar section. I ordered a Kingfisher and we ate while watching the photos. The girls were becoming tired you could tell, of smiling for so long.

We had to leave early by IST, as I'm flying to Chennai on Monday morning, so we slipped out the door when the entertainment started.

Very nice party indeed!



This is the cook I tripped on

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)