Friday, May 16, 2014

Gettin' Fruity Wid It!

Beginning with my first Indian friend, I have only known one who did not wax poetic on the heavenly virtues of mangoes. It seems the typical GMO-varietal mango found in American supermarkets have had all the flavor bred out of them (styrofoam tomato, anyone?). Looking forward to tasting my first flavorful mango! My fingers are sticky just thinking about it!

I was pleasantly surprised to get such an extensive list (below) from a work friend (thanks AR!) of more fruits I absolutely have to eat while on my journey (follow the links to learn more):


  • Mangoes –In Hyderabad, they are called Banganapalle or Rasaalu 
  • Manilkara zapota -- Called Sapota in Hyderabad. They look like kiwi and should be peeled before eating
  • Tender Coconut water can be found everywhere in Hyderabad. Need to select good one with sweet water. Good for hydration if reliable water not available 
  • Watermelon
  • Syzygium cumini -- Called nalla neredupandu in Hyderabad. Known for removing toxins from the digestive system – suggested each person eat one per year. Will make your tongue purple. 
  • Jujube (not to be confused with jujube or ju-ju-be  :-)  ) -- Also called Regipandu, the small ones are tasty. 
  • Guava – try unripe 
  • Passion fruit – AR is not very passionate about passion fruit, and warns it has a strong smell.
  • Gooseberries – sour 
  • Lychee – often find the juice available 
  • Star fruit 
  • Custard apples -- Apparently these are difficult to eat - based on the pictures, in the same way as an antichoke is difficult to eat -- and I should make sure they are ripe! 


Many thanks also to Catherine Reddy, without whose wonderful blog The Earth of India I wouldn't have been able to imagine (and share with you!) many of these fruits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll post this comment after I have a chance to check your spelling. :-)